Tuesday, November 4, 2008

More Tricks than Treats

I should have had these up a few days ago, but this is what we've been up to here at our house. Jonathan took this picture of all the 'sickies' but maybe he shouldn't have laughed when he did so. He only doomed himself to getting it, which he did yesterday. (Notice the beautiful new windows in the backround) :) (Don't notice the blue curtain being held together by a velcro strip in an effort for some privacy since none of our old blinds now fit in the windows) :(

Halloween was a little different this year. It was our first year being completely on our own (my mom was still around from Douglas' birth last year). And to top it all off, Jonathan was on call for both the ward trunk or treat party as well as Halloween night. Both Douglas and Cooper got runny noses the day before the Trunk or Treat party, but I figured it would be ok. Then just as we're sitting down to a quick dinner of hotdogs I noticed Cooper's eye's didn't look too good. And sure enough he had a fever. So I was in a pickle. Jackson had been looking forward to this party all week long and was crushed when I told him we probably shouldn't go since Cooper had a slight fever. Jon was still at the hospital so it wasn't an option to leave Cooper home with him while I took Jackson. Ugh! So I decided we'd bundle everyone up really good, show up alittle late (so the candy was already being handed out), run around to a few cars, so Jackson could have his fun, and then leave. We got ready and Jonathan was able to met us at the church and walk around with us. (Grateful for little miracles) Oh and did I mention it was FREEZING! Glad we didn't stay long.



Halloween night came and there weren't any fevers, but lots of snotty noses. Cooper didn't want to dress up and I frankly wasn't going to argue with a sick cranky boy about it. So I convinced him to atleast wear a Superman cape and we called it good. It was a much warmer night (another little miracle). We started out our night driving over to our old apartment complex to see some friends. The boys made out like bandits at Donna's house and they loved it!! Thanks Donna! Then we came back to the house and decided to atleast go down our own street. I was amazed at the chaos!! I had bought candy to hand out, but only as much as I remember my parents usually got. Which usually isn't a ton since most people seem to only go to people they know. And since we're new to the area and don't know anyone yet, I figured we'd be good with our one extra large mixing bowl full. Then Jonathan got stuck at the hospital and I started thinking that we were going to get stuck with a bunch of candy since no one was there to hand it out. But as we drove up our street after visiting our friends I became concerned. It was CRAZY!!! In the time it took me to get the kids out of the car, and get our double stroller set up and us out the door, we had already gone through half of the bowl! We made our way up and down the street, and the boys loved it! Jonathan got home just as we finished up our last two houses, and by the time we walked up the driveway of our house, Jonathan had handed out the rest of the candy in our bowl! We don't live in the ghetto by any means, but there is still a lot of...um lower income families in the area. These people travel in herds. On average 12-18 kids at a time at the door (plus their parents). And the street was packed with them. No joke. The kids are screaming because they're tired and want to go home and the mothers are saying (in their inner city east coast accents) 'I don't care what you want, we're not done yet.' No joke that was a direct quote from a mother to her 7 year old daughter who would stand on the sidewalk as her mother would go up and collect more candy at each house. hahah There were even adults walking around collecting candy. I mean 30+ year olds saying trick or treat at our door. But anyway, now we know for next year, to expect at least 150+ trick or treaters. Does anyone want to donate to our Halloween candy 2009 budget? I have a feeling it's going to cost us a pretty penny to not run out in 20 minutes next year. :)








1 comment:

Chrystal said...

Your family is too cute for words! I love how much fun kids make holidays!