Sunday, May 29, 2011

Ramblings

So, where to begin. I guess with the most exciting and go from there. We made our first trip to Scofield for the summer and it was enjoyable, chilly, and interesting. Because of such a cold wind on Friday we decided to take a ride down to Price and visit their dinosaur museum. It is small but has some good things to see. Also an exhibit entitled, "Living fossils", where they have a soft shelled turtle and a 4 year old alligator swimming around in the same little pool. We learned some interesting things while there. The soft shelled turtle killed the last alligator they had and the new alligator and it do not get along (they have attacked each other a couple of times), but they now live in a mutually agreed upon truce. Another interesting thing about small town Price, at 4 pm the museum feeds the alligator live mice and it is quite the attraction for everyone at the museum. What? Kind of disturbing, interesting, amusing and I did not really watch much of it, but my boys did. They said one of the mice had a fighting chance. The mouse hopped onto the alligator's tail then onto his back. But finally the mouse fell off and was consumed in the fierce jaws of mister alligator. Anyway, on to more pleasant if not more mundane details of the weekend.

William still loves fishing and going down to the lake. But we have also noticed that he is a die-hard for the water. He was freezing cold but did not want to leave the water, he was having so much fun playing and going deeper and deeper.

Peter is a beach bum, loves fishing, dissecting plants, and playing in any dirt he can find.

Caleb still loves the lake and the water but he also has a real affinity for the willows. He loves playing games in the willows and forging new and difficult paths for the rest of us to walk through.

Haley had a lot of fun at the cabin. She loved playing with the balls and spending time outside by the lake. And she was a rock-star for sleeping through the night at the cabin. Maybe it had to do with not getting very long naps during the day but we will take it.

Here are the monsters, trying to wind down for bed, even though it is so hard to do at the cabin.
In other noteworthy news, Caleb has to prepare a talk about faith for next Sunday and I have to prepare a sharing time on the same subject. You would not think it would be so hard, Faith is such a basic part of the gospel and Jesus' teachings. It should not be so hard to gather your thoughts and express them in a meaningful way. But I am struggling. Having faith in Jesus is one thing. Faith that your prayers will be answered, or that life continues after death, or that I am doing the right thing by going to church. Yet, I struggle in showing that faith in difficult times, or time when my patience is low, or when I really need something and I begin to doubt if my faith meets the test. I am rambling here but what do you do? I want to teach these kids the importance of faith, especially my own kids. I want to let them know that I believe! But then I start to doubt if I have enough faith to stand the test of time. Oh well, it will come together. I just need to do what I should be doing this week and the spirit will come through for me. It has happened before, I just need to put my feet on the right path and keep them there for the long haul.

No comments: