Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Magic Garden

Oh yes, we are magic. Truly, we are! I, Diedre, am a fan of yard work and gardening, when my children actually let me get down and dirty with it, I do. So, last year we planted a garden and had so much fun with it. I love watching things start to happen with the little seeds and I love pointing it out to the boys. Well, if you will remember last year, in one spot of our yard we planted watermelon seeds and they grew, we got some fruit on the vine and magically our watermelon turned orange. You guessed it, it was a pumpkin plant not a watermelon plant. How did that happen?
Well, again this year - same exact spot as last year - we planted a cantaloupe (Caleb loves them, sorry Jon). Things started to grow, we were so excited. Then all of a sudden I noticed a fruit starting to grow on the vine, a rather greenish oblong shaped fruit that really resembles a zucchini. Yes, you guessed it, our cantaloupe plant magically turned into a zucchini plant. We now have at least 5 zucchinis growing in our magic garden. Is that not so cool!!! I am proud to say that our other plants have also taken off and started to grow. A pumpkin, squash, tomato, several sunflowers and what I am guessing is a cantaloupe (we will have to wait and see on that mystery plant). But it is true, we have a magic garden. I am not sure how it happens, maybe Caleb slips a special seed in there when I am not looking, but it happens; two years in a row.The plant directly behind Caleb is our miraculous cantaloupe turned zucchini plant. Everywhere else you see raspberries, tomatoes and sunflowers (Caleb's favorite thing to plant).

1 comment:

Dad said...

Fine garden! Fine boys!
Love,
Granny