Monday, September 22, 2008

Look what's in our backyard

Batman lives in my backyard!!!
Jackson put on his Batman outfit the other day and then went outside to play. I had the camera with me and thought he looked so cute swinging so I wanted a picture. This is the conversation that followed.
Mom: "Hey Jackson, smile."
Jackson doesn't smile.
Mom: "Hey Jackson, smile."
Jackson: "I can't smile mom. Batman doesn't smile."
So this is a picture of Batman, not smiling, on the swing.
Watch out Christian Bale, this kids gonna give you a run for your money.

As some may remember, or maybe not, we have a cemetery right behind our house. We've had mixed feelings from friends and what not when they find this fact out.
"Isn't that creepy?"
"At least your neighbors are quiet" (Dad would appreciate the cemetery humor)
"That's weird"
Well just so you all know, I don't mind one bit that there are a bunch of dead people behind my back fence. I actually think it's kind of cool and enjoy the open view from our upstairs windows. I've seen a few funerals and people who come to visit graves and actually there are quiet a few people that use it for walking their dogs and exercising. As a family, we've walking around in there, and Jackson likes us to read him the different names. We've seen some really old ones from the earlier-mid 1800's. From our kitchen sink you can see through a section of the fence where the bushes don't grow. The view right through that section is a white tombstone with a flag infront of it. I see it every day, but haven't ever gone outside to see if I could read the stone. While I was out back with the kids the other day I remembered to look at the stone and this is what I saw.

In case you can't see it in the picture, the man served in the Civil War!

I love our windows here at the house. (atleast until the winter comes and the draft is felt) Anyway, they're old looking and I love the wood frames, the fact that some are impossibly hard to open, and there are even a few that have to be propped open with wood pieces or they fall right back down. Hey they have character!! But we've decided (for the sake of our winter heating bill) that the first thing to do to the house is get new windows. So the charming wood framed, slightly distorting glass will soon be replaced by white plastic. I wanted something to remember our old character filled windows by, so I snapped a few pictures. This was my willing model.

Yum! Last week was a long week. Jonathan didn't get to see the kids all week, which means mommy was very worn out. Friday night I decided we needed to do something fun. So we went to McDonald's and got hot fudge sundaes. The boys loved them, and I loved the circle of hot fudge it left on Cooper's face.



What about me Mom!!!

2 comments:

Dave said...

A cemetery behind the house! Think of all the fun night games and spooky nights that can be spent there...if you were really disrespectful and a teenager...I've never done that!

And we couldn't agree with you more on the windows in these old houses. We're looking to replace ours before the next endless winter hits Cleveland.

Rob said...

Yes, windows do a lot for the heating bill. Also check under your doors, is there a big gap where a draft could come in? In our house there is a HUGE gap that we lovingly pack a towel up to it each night in the winter just to avoid the draft. :) Love it! So, is Jackson Batman for Halloween? Caleb and Peter have both decided on Spiderman so Willy is a Spider. Don't you love it! -Diedre