Saturday, April 4, 2009

Continuing in the hope


Whew buddy, what a day.  And it was conference, you'd think it would have been spirit packed and filled with uplifting moments.  Well, I did have my uplifting moment but it was not until the end of the day and after much strife.  These are my boys at Conference Camp-out, a Rob Gray Family tradition that my boys love and somehow it brings us together to get us excited about conference.  
Caleb's memorable quotes from today were, "Mom, I've listened to TWO talks from conference!"  He was so proud of himself, I did not have the heart to tell him that he had listened to the first two talks of conference and he had another hour and a half to go. :)  Also Caleb said from Sister Liffer's (sp??) talk, "Mom, when you discipline me I do not learn anything."  OH BUDDY!  I think that was prophecy for the rest of the day's behavior for Caleb.  But seriously, Caleb does pretty good with catching certain phrases in conference.
Peter loved watching the choir sing and he would always point out when someone said Jesus or our Savior.  And Peter is convinced that Mary Poppins is in the Tabernacle Choir. :)
This is William at conference:
He was loving the TV and made his brothers quite upset that they could not see the picture. But he was just so happy to be right there with all the sparkles on the TV and those other people. It was great!
Anyway, back to the Hope part.  So, conference was not all singing and praising.  It tends to be "no" and "shhh" a lot too.  And that made kids grumpy, which made parents testy and grumpy which is not a good combination.  By the end of the night I was glad Rob was able to get away to Priesthood and I was looking forward to bedtime.  But even bedtime did not go smoothly.  Somehow we ended up crying, disciplining (which I wonder if I am a failure because sheesh, I am not teaching anything) and, oh brother.  But even Heavenly Father is able to get through to me and led me to a great scripture as I was reading to the boys.  2 Ne 10:23, "Therefore, cheer up your hearts, and remember that ye are free to act for yourselves-to choose the way of everlasting death or the way to eternal life."  What a wonderful message for three unhappy people, "cheer up your hearts."  Heavenly Father helped me to pull it together and to somehow end the night well.  I was able to hold Will as he fell asleep and watch him be so peaceful.  I was able to help my boys know that they are loved and in some crazy way special to me and God.  And they were able to go to sleep with a good feeling in their heart.  Thank you, Father in Heaven for helping me end the day right.  

2 comments:

Chrystal said...

Thanks for sharing this! I love the way He can reach us - in such personal ways.

Dacia said...

Willy is soooo cute! I think that is hilarious! Can't wait to see you guys soon!