Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Great Egg Hunt

As everyone knows, Granny Gray's egg hunts are fabulous!  I mean it, I still remember my first Easter with Rob and family.  I remember getting up, thinking how bad I looked but that everyone wanted me to go hunt for eggs, going to the back sliding glass door and seeing the yard covered in plastic Easter eggs.  Then I remember David, Rob and all the others stampeding out the door to grab every egg they could touch.  It was fun and cool and slight madness.  But it was great.  So, in holding to tradition Granny Gray has always been so awesome and done a hunt for the little Grays and they love it!  Caleb still remembers the year he found the Golden Egg and how exciting that was.  However, this year Granny, Grandpa, and Emily took off for California and left Dacia and I wondering what to do.  Have the egg hunt without Granny's yard and few remaining Little Chick Eggs or wait for Granny to come home?  We decided to go ahead with the hunt in my (Diedre and Rob's) back yard and we made a few adjustments.  We had four Golden Eggs, candy was inside some of the eggs, and there was a lot less money (Granny Gray is soooo generous).  Dacia brought over a bunch of eggs yesterday, filled and ready to be scattered.  I also pulled together all the eggs we had and together I think we had maybe 120 eggs and I thought that would for sure be enough for the boys.  But upon scattering the eggs in our yard early this morning I found that my yard is big and I did not have enough!  With a quick trip to the store and being lucky enough to find some cute, tiny eggs that were only $1 a package I headed home with 72 more eggs and that made the yard look a bit more hunt worthy.  My next quandary was where to hide the prized Golden Eggs???  I found some suitable spots and with that, the boys were excited and anxious to get out there.


These are the boys upon finding their Golden Egg.  I feel kind of bad, I think we should have made them search a little more before having adult intervention to find the eggs.  But I think all of us were a bit cold from the nippy air and maybe I hid them too high?  Who knows?   I also think that Jason got some good pictures of the boys while they were hunting, I need to get some copies (Please Jason??).  Oh and I think the most exciting find of all was when they were opening up their eggs in the house Jonah found a wasp crawling out of one of his eggs.  No worries, it was in super slow-mode and Jason bravely scooped it up and humanely set it free outside.  
Another side note, I mentioned before my memories of hunting with the grown-up Grays, scrambling for every last egg and the hunt was over in minutes.  That was fun.  With these boys it is kind of different.  They need a lot of prodding to get those eggs.  It is so funny, you would think they would be like little vacuums - getting every last egg in their path.  Instead they run to one egg but pass up 5 others. :)  Or they stop to shake the egg or just have fun running around without caring about the hunt itself (at least this is what Peter tends to do).  I am so embarrassed, but in the video Rob took you can hear me telling Caleb and Peter, "Go, Go, Go!  Run... get those eggs... they're getting them all!"  But hey, I guess I need to put that all aside.  They had fun and were just excited to be together.  And we were happy to share the day together.  I must say, this family is awesome!  We do some pretty fun stuff together and I am still amazed that Dacia and Jason want to bring Spencer around Peter.  Hopefully one day my boy will get it together.  We love you all!  Happy Easter!

3 comments:

Jon said...

I'm so da' gum lonely out here. I wish we were there with you all sharing in the family fun.
Jon

Heidi Mae said...

The boys would have had a blast with all the other boys. All they have is girl cousins here in California right now. :( Looks like it was a lot of fun though. Happy Easter to you too!!!

Jason said...

It was so fun Diedre! Loved all the decorations, and high energy breakfast. Thanks for bringing the strawberries Steve!